Tuesday, January 20, 2009

iPod Magic

Carl finally got his Christmas present this weekend. Since it is actually a rather funny (in a sick sort of way), I will share the story with you. Here's what happened:

He has an 8GB iPod touch, but wanted the 2nd Generation with more memory. I had this brilliant idea (or so I thought) to check eBay first. Lo and behold, you could get a brand new 32 GB for the same price as the 16GB! So, I quickly bought the first one I won. In my defense, there were over twenty people bidding on each of the listings, so I was distracted by that fact. Because I was distracted, I failed to notice that the seller had NO feedback and was from THAILAND. Yup, you read that correctly. I chose to bid over three hundred dollars of our money on just such an item. 

Needless to say, we never received the world's greatest deal. I (thankfully) had paid through PayPal, and upon filing a claim for an unrecieved item, discovered that PayPal will give you a full refund if the seller does not respond to their e-mails. Of course our seller never responded, the case was closed, and we should have payment today or tomorrow. 

In the midst of all this, Carl ended up without a Christmas present from me at all. We had ordered him a new snowboard jacket from Steep and Cheap as well, but it was too big and had to be sent back. Not the best of Christmas luck! 

So, while I was at Costco stocking up on a multitude of things last week, I browsed the electronic section (quickly, so as to avoid children screaming) and discovered they now carried a 16 GB iPod Touch. The price was great, I knew we were getting our refund, so I bought him one. I think it did more for me than for him, since I felt awful about failing to give him a Christmas present, whereas I don't think he cared all that much. Nevertheless, he loves his new iPod and I do too -- I inherited his 8GB. :) 

Moral of the story: Don't order eBay items from sellers with zero feedback that reside in Thailand. I know, I probably don't need to state this fact, but I wouldn't have thought I would forget something so simple either!

3 comments:

Sandra said...

Oh goodness! It can be easy to get caught in a "good deal" and not pay attention to the details. My friend did the same thing with and IPOD. He didn't check the seller location and ended up paying more in shipping than he did for the item.

Kristen said...

Been there, done that! Glad you used Paypal!

aola said...

yeah, us, too! We almost got burned for $17,000.00 on an international sale in our estore... long, long story but we did get our money.